Monday, April 21, 2008

MOLES...they can be scary

Yes, some moles can be rather cute - the ones that crawl in the ground and look like fat, stumpy blind mice. However, moles on your body are different and can be VERY scary if you do not watch them. It is VITAL that people, especially women, get their moles checked by a dermatologist - especially if you tan (in the sun or tanning bed), are outside a lot, do not wear sunscreen, or have a family history.

I have a a lot of moles - but 3 in particular on my tummy form a triangle shape and I have had them my whole life. I guess I have grown attached to them because I am so sad to get them taken off. However, I will be going on Thursday to get the moles removed because they all resemble moles that can be a pre-cursor to cancer. My mom, grandmother, and aunt have all had melanoma moles so I know it is important for me to get mine checked. If you do not know about your family history or what to look for I am posting pictures of BAD moles so that you can compare yours to them and see if you may need to get checked. This can save your life, so please just look and see what your moles are like and then get to the dermatologist (some gynecologists can check moles too).




Here is a chart to determine whether your mole could be Melanoma:
The ABCD of Melanoma
Asymmetry -- One half doesn't match the other half.
Color -- The pigmentation is not uniform. Shades of tan, brown, and black arepresent. Areas of red, white, and blue may add to the mottled appearance
Border irregularity -- The edges are ragged, notched, or blurred.
Diameter -- Most but not all melanomas are greater than six millimeters (about the size of a pencil eraser) when diagnosed.Regardless of size, any growth of a mole should be at least a reason to look at it carefully.


Here is a link to many pictures of cancerous moles:


Here are a few that look semi-normal but probably are NOT:


Melanoma



Melanoma
MALIGNANT Melanoma






No comments: