So Mr. Wilcox is in the hospital again. Two years ago he was diagnosed with cancer and almost walked through death's door but didn't. Recently he has been doing so well - he bought a new car, drove to Bible study twice a week and was even substitute teaching! We were all so excited to see him doing so well! Well - of course I trek off to San Diego without going to see him in about 6 weeks. I thought about it and thought, you know, I will go see him over Thanksgiving so we are not rushed. I got a call Wednesday morning, however, explaining that Mr. Wilcox had suffered a stroke and was left unable to speak and very confused. I couldn't get to Augusta, obviously, so Meagan Borum went, thank goodness. Meagan and I have a gift at making Mr. Wilcox smile.
Anyway I promised to sit with him on Friday, tomorrow. This morning, though I got more news. Mr. Wilcox has developed MRSP induced pneumonia. In other words he has a bacterial infection that has progressed pneumonia in his body leaving it hard for him to breathe. Additionally he has an infection in his foot where he had two toes amputated during his last hospital stay. They gave him antibiotics and said he need to wait 24 hours to see results. MRSP is very contagious - through casual contact - and they are warning people who come to the hospital to be very cautious but recommend that they do not come. Well, I have to go. I cannot stay away from the hospital with Mr. Wilcox in this condition.
Over the past two years he has been such a good friend to me. I visit him and we talk and watch the History Channel. He always makes me laugh and is so sincerely interested in what I am doing, in my thesis and in Derek's life too. I am so worried because the prognosis is so bad - I don't want to think negatively but it is hard not too with the bacterial infection being so dangerous. It makes me think about November a year ago when we lost Michael to a bacterial infection - what is with November??? Every year someone I love gets seriously ill, hospitalized or dies during this month.
I want him to get better so much. I will eat a Snickers and drink a Coke in honor of him and in hopes that he pulls through this today.
No comments:
Post a Comment