It disturbs me every time Sarah Palin talks about breaking the glass ceiling by getting into the White House. The fact that this small town mayor turned Alaskan governor who was, in an act of awful judgment, appointed by John McCain solely to rally the evangelical conservative base believes that she should be the chosen one to "break the glass ceiling" is ridiculous! Sarah Palin has not supported women's rights - whether it be reproductive or working rights! She also has not protected the rights female children who have been raped - even incestually raped. She made rape victims in the state of Alaska (which has one of the highest rape percentages in the U.S.) pay for the rape kit doctors use to know how to help them both in their health and in court.
Additionally, Palin is obviously uneducated in Civics. She is confused about the role of the Vice-President, cannot name controversial court cases (which anyone who has made it through high school should be able to do), and constantly underminds the McCain campaign. The last of which shows that she is such a "maverick" she can't even support her own running mate in their campaign - how then is she supposed to help McCain "reach across the aisle?"
I would love to see a female leader of the United States. However, I am a woman who investigates all candidates - no matter their gender - in an effort to make an educated vote. I will not vote for a female candidate who does not represent the values of women and children and who, frankly, is not smart enough and does not deserve to be in a position of national leadership.
On a personal level I have many issues with this candidate. She advocates for censorship in libraries, drilling in the Alaskan Wildlife Preserve, and aerial hunting of native Alaskan wolves. She is not a subsistence hunter but a sport hunter. I have sport hunters in my family but they eat what they kill. Sarah Palin believes in killing Grizzly Bears, Alaskan Wolves, Moose, Elk and the like for their skins - not for warmth in the Alaskan cold either - but to display in homes. She does not have a problem with the hunting of endangered species and actually opposed putting Baluga whales and polar bears on the endangered species list because it would limit drilling in Alaska - even though those species ARE ACTUALLY ENDANGERED.
Sarah Palin has also been found guilty of ethics charges in TWO cases. Once as Mayor of Wasilla when she fired a librarian for not taking certain books of the shelves of the Wasilla library (one book was called "Pastor, I am Gay" written by a local minister and the librarian was re-instated after the public cried out against the unethical decision made by Palin) The second, of course, was recently when a bi-partisan group found her guilty of ethics violations in the firing of the Police Commissioner. She talks about Obama's associations - why not take a look at her actions? Don't actions speak louder than aquaintances? I think so.
McCain could have received my vote because I vehemently disagree with Obama on his views on the death tax policies. Although I like Obama more than McCain, this issue alone could have swayed my vote if McCain had chosen someone like Romney or Condy Rice (but not Huckabee...no way). With McCain's appointment of Sarah Palin we now know that he does not use his best judgment, he does not put "Country First" or he would not have chosen this unqualified candidate, and he does not support Civil Rights to the extent Obama does. So, I will be putting the interests of minorities, women, children and homosexuals ahead of my issues with Obama's death tax policy because if I do not I will be voting not only for McCain - but for a VP with a huge possibility of becoming President who is too incompetant and close-minded for the position.
Women out there should realize that they need a qualified female in positions of national leadership so that they will not give a bad name to women in leadership and so that in the future we have a greater chance to continue breaking the glass ceiling.
Vote Against Palin in 2008.
No comments:
Post a Comment